Ambitious and experienced technician in the legal services industry, loves finding creative ways to resolveissues when traditional knowledge dictates that it can’t be resolved in that time/budget/process/etc,interested in exploring and learning new technologies and applying them when possible.
Director of IT and Security, Wyche, PA 2011-Present
-Maintain 100% virtual environment with 99.9% uptime.
-Implemented offsite backups and replication and disaster recovery and business continuity strategies
-Created Incident Response Policy, Disaster Recovery and various other Information Governance policies
-Upgraded and tripled the capacity of the storage infrastructure, using a mix of SAN and NAS appliances.
-Upgraded entire switching infrastructure, including migrating from Cisco to HP, quadrupling capacity, segmenting out storage, access and production traffic, and increasing redundancy.
-Migrated server infrastructure from Server 2003/2008 to 2008 R2/2012 and then 2012 R2/2016.
-Migrated users from XP to Windows 7.
-Responsible for IT and Litigation Support budget and purchases
-Responsible for IT strategy and project management
-Worked with various business units to implement new workflows and automate processes, including writing multiple custom PHP forms, reports and a web front end with a database back end.
-Provide infrastructure support and maintenance for firm servers, switches, routers and storage appliances.
Messaging Administrator / Network Engineer , Ogletree Deakins, 2003-2011
-Maintained Exchange 2003 infrastructure for over 1500 mailboxes in 43 offices across the country, including monitoring and administering over 40 Exchange servers remotely.
-Assisted in Group Policy development, maintenance and application deployment for firm-wide projects
-Maintained Active Directory environment with over 1500 users across 43 offices.
-Handled level 3 support calls escalated from the Help Desk and Site Support personnel.
-Developed and rolled out a custom, highly flexible signature and disclaimer project throughout the firm using Visual Basic scripts and Active Directory.
-Was the Network Operations representative for several cross-department projects, including CRM, expense management, immigration software and more.
-Maintained highly available, multiple Blackberry server mobile messaging environment for over 700 users.
-Architected and maintained a multi-layer, redundant email security gateway for all inbound and outbound firm messages, including a smarthost with custom message logging.
-Developed and expanded network and server monitoring where gaps existed in commercial applications and developed dashboards to consolidate monitoring information.
-Worked with cross-functional teams to deploy multiple firm-wide software applications and projects.
-Deployed open source technologies such as Hylafax, Smokeping, Untangle, and MediaWiki among others to help reduce costs, particularly in the areas of network and server monitoring. Expanded the scope and ability of a custom server monitoring platform written in C, adding the ability to monitor email flow, adding a database backend and web interface for adding and removing devices and tracking uptime and added text alerting capability.
-Assisted in the migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003.
-Assisted in upgrading to MPLS lines at 35 locations and assisted with DMVPN failover implementation on Cisco routers.
Computer Analyst, Square D, Summer 2002
-Worked with their in-house IT support personnel to replace over 100 PCs that were due back on lease.
-Assisted in level 1 technical support calls from end users.
- Pay Now or Pay Later? Technical Debt and Getting the Timing Right on Your Next Infrastructure UpgradeAug 2016Project descriptionSpoke on roundtable at ILTA conference session discussing technical debt, budgeting, timing and financial options for infrastructure projects and why or when to use each kind.
- Project name10 Easy to Setup Open Source or Free Utility ServersAug 2013Project descriptionAssisted with planning and spoke on roundtable discussing 10 open source (or free) utility servers you can use in your firm. I spoke specifically on ownCloud and Spiceworks.
- Project nameMaking Sure Technology MattersAug 2013Project descriptionHelped plan and speak at ILTA conference session focused on helping senior IT leaders improve their department’s reputation, relationship with other admin/legal business units, and its overall impact on the firm’s success. The team facilitated discussions around five specific crowd-sourced problem / opportunity areas using brainstorming & mind-mapping techniques.
Certifications and Courses Completed:
- Blackberry System Administration Training (May 2008) Achieved Certification
- Cisco, ICND (September 2005)
- Configuring, Managing, and Troubleshooting Microsoft Exchange 2010 (April 2011)
- Disaster Recovery and Data Protection (April 2018) Certification Earned
- Exchange Server 2003 (March 2005) MSFT 2400
- Fundamentals of Cisco Router Configuration (April 2006)
- ISSA Security Tools Workshop (Sept 2018)
- Installing, Configuring & Troubleshooting Microsoft SQL Server (June 2007)
- Powershell Workshop (Oct 2018)
- AI For Everyone (Feb 2019)
Clemson University – BS Computer Information Systems, 2003
Clemson University – MS Business Administration, 2011
Friends of the Reedy River, Board Member, Secretary and member of Organizational Development committee. 2017-Present